Amidst the Russia and Ukraine War, the latest in the news is the advanced long-range rocket system sent by the U.S. to Ukraine. Ukrainian top officials and President Zelensky have pledged that they will not use the advanced U.S rocket system to target Russian territory. Ukrainian President also mentioned that the use of the U.S supplied weapons will be done only to drive out the invading forces from its own country.
Russia accuses the U.S. of adding fuel to the fire by sending advanced rocket systems to Ukraine. Russia also mentioned that it does not trust Kyiv in not using U.S. supplied weapons for attacking its territory.
• In an interview with Newsmax, Zelensky reacted to the White House’s concerns about using U.S. supplied rockets to attack Russian territory, stating that the war is taking place in Ukraine and not Russia.
• Ukraine’s President also said that its prime aim was to use the foreign military help to “de-block” its own cities and required rockets that can target as far as 62 miles away.
• This statement of Zelensky came after U.S. President mentioned that the U.S. does not plan to send artillery to Ukraine as it can reach Russian territories referencing the Russian cities and towns that are near Ukraine’s eastern border.
• However keeping aside the concerns, Biden announced sending “advanced rocket systems and munitions” to Ukraine that can be used at the battlefield. He had made it clear that the U.S. was not “encouraging or enabling” Ukraine to the U.S. those weapons on Russian territories.
• The Kremlin dismissed Biden’s debate saying that the U.S. supplying advanced weapons to Ukraine could raise the chances of direct conflict between Russia and the U.S.